Are You Laughing Enough?
There is no doubt in my mind that laughter lifts your mood. Its impossible to be miserable and laugh at the same time.I grew up with comedies and Saturday morning at the movies was my passion.
I laugh at funny clips and make it a rule to watch something funny on the television before I hit the pillow. We are a laughing family and my kids have a great sense of humour. My second eldest son has joined a comedy club and gets a kick out of making people laugh.According to medical research, laughter reduces cancer and heart attacks.
The Benefits of Laughter Yoga
In 1995 Dr. Madan Kataria, a medical doctor from Mumbai, India popularly known as the ‘Guru of Giggling’ (London Times), founded the Laughter Yoga Club movement. While doing research on laughter he was astounded at the physiological and psychological benefits of laughter.
He experimented with laughter on his patients.His laughter yoga was so successful that he introduced Laughter Yoga to the public, which started with five people in a public park in Mumbai.
What is Laughter Yoga?
Laughter Yoga is a unique exercise routine that combines group laughter exercises with yoga breathing which allows anyone to laugh without using jokes, humor or comedies. It started with five people in a public park in Mumbai today it has grown into a world movement with more than 600 Laughter Clubs worldwide.
I attended one laughter workshop in London and could not stop laughing and have not stopped ever since. The benefits are astounding. Years later I used the laughter technique with Dads at the Fathers Family and Friends group. They must have thought I was demented when I asked them to pretend they had won the lottery and were phoning their friends not by talking but using laughter.
Some Dads in the group felt uncomfortable, the wonderful thing about laughter is that it has a ripple effect.Very soon the whole room erupted into howls of laughter. What I found interesting was that the stress had left their faces.The Dads looked like they shed a load off their shoulders even if it was just for an hour.
Benefits of Laughter Yoga
• Good Mood and More Laughter: Laughter Yoga helps to change your mood within minutes by releasing certain chemicals from your brain cells called endorphins. You will remain cheerful and in a good mood throughout the day and will laugh more than you normally do.
• Healthy Exercise to Beat Stress: Laughter Yoga is like an aerobic exercise (cardio workout) which brings more oxygen to the body and brain thereby making one feel more energetic and relaxed.
• Health Benefits: Laughter Yoga reduces the stress and strengthens the immune system.You will not fall sick easily and if you have some chronic health conditions, you will heal faster.
• Quality of Life: Laughter is a positive energy which helps people to connect with other people quickly and improves relationships. If you laugh more, you will attract many friends.
• Positive Attitude in Challenging Times: Everyone can laugh when life is good, but how does one laugh when faced with challenges? Laughter helps to create a positive mental state to deal with negative situations and negative people. It gives hope and optimism to cope with difficult times.
So there you have it, laughter is free and fun and can be shared by all, it might save you a few dollars on buying anti-depressants or booze. You might longer if you start laughing today!
This week, make it a top priority to include some laughter in your life with your family friends or business, have a fantastic week and a good side-splitting laugh.